While the golf season is coming to an end for the year in many parts of the country, this is one of the best times of the year to enjoy savings from end-of-year golf clearance sales and other promotions on this year’s new equipment in order to make room for next year’s new clubs and gear, which is typically released in the late fall or early winter. Before we take a look at ways to save even more on great golf clubs, golf shoe deals, discount golf balls, and deals on the best Christmas Gifts for golfers (possibly with the lowest prices of the year utilizing Golf Black Friday Deals), let’s take a quick look at the history of the game and some key attributes.
When it comes to golf’s major championships, there is a long and illustrious history. The Open Championship, which is still commonly referred to as the British Open by many spectators, is the oldest and most prestigious golf competition in the world. In 1860, it was held for the first time at Prestwick Golf Club in Ayrshire, Scotland. The Masters, the US Open, and the PGA Championship are the other three major events in men’s professional golf, all of which take place in the United States. While these tournaments have a long and storied history, the game of golf dates back much further.
Would you believe that golf’s origins date back to Roman times? Golf’s origins have been traced back to the Roman game of paganica, in which participants used a bent staff to hit a stuffed leather ball. Many historians believe that the game expanded over Europe when the Romans occupied sections of the continent in the first century BC, eventually evolving into the modern game of golf as we know it. The 18-hole round at St Andrews’ Old Course was built in 1764, which links back to the roots of the Open Championship. This was not long after, in the 15th century, the modern game of golf was officially born in Scotland.
The PGA Tour, based in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, is a non-profit organization and is the governing body for men’s professional golf in the United States and North America. It is responsible for the majority of the events on the PGA Tour, as well as the PGA Tour Champions and the Korn Ferry Tour, as well as the PGA Tour China, PGA Tour Canada, and PGA Tour Latinoamérica. Since the tour’s inception in 1929, tournament players have attempted to work independently of club professionals at different times.
Many different types of golf clubs can be found in a regular golfer’s bag. The five types of clubs usually used in today’s game are woods, irons, hybrids, wedges, and putters. The “woods” group of golf clubs includes the driver and fairway woods.
- Of all the clubs, the woods have the largest heads and the longest shafts. Their clubheads are no longer constructed of wood, yet they are still referred to as woods.
- The irons are usually organized in numbered sets, ranging from 3-iron to 9-iron or pitching wedge. They’re called blades because their clubheads are smaller than woods’, especially in the front to rear, where they’re comparably thin. The majority of irons have solid heads, while others have hollow heads. As the number approaches 9, the loft of an iron club increases, while the shaft length drops.
- Hybrid golf clubs are a newer type of golf club. Despite the fact that they had existed for several years prior to it, they only became fashionable around the turn of the century. The clubhead of a hybrid is a cross between a wood and an iron. Hybrids are nearly always used to replace long irons by golfers.
- Among the wedges available are pitching wedges, gap wedges, sand wedges, and lob wedges, as well as other custom golf wedges. Wedges are a type of golf club, but they’re also a subset of irons because their clubheads are similar to irons’, but they’re inclined more steeply for higher loft. They have the most loft and are utilized for shorter approach shots into greens, chipping and pitches around greens, and sand bunker play.
- Putters, used on the greens, come in the widest variety of designs and sizes, and have the most variety of any club on the market. That could be due to the fact that choosing a putter is such a personal experience. The three main types of putter heads are blade putters, mallet putters, and Peripheral-weighted putters, each with hundreds or thousands of unique designs. While no such thing as a “perfect” putter exists, but you may find great deals on the perfect putter for you.
Unlike many sports, golf can be a lifelong sport, and it is never to late to start enjoying golf or take golf lessons to improve your game and lower your golf handicap, a term unique to the game that refers to your average score.
Regardless of your experience and skill level, be sure to save money each time you shop for golf equipment by earning golf cash back and taking advantage of golf promo codes, golf club deals, golf shoe clearance, and deals on the best golf clothing of the year, which may even be seen on TV on professional golfers. If golf isn’t your favorite sport, there are many ways to save on sporting equipment and sporting goods deals by earning sports & recreation cashback each time you shop online!